My last category (for now!) includes apps that are favorites for personal and home use.
- Amazon: A fun way to browse the world's largest store.
|"Minds on Music" at Amazon.|
- AppAdvice: Easily access reviews and articles about all things "app." Many articles are added every day, and you can also browse dozens of thematic app lists.
|Today's App news.|
- Casey's Contraptions: This is a delightfully designed game in which you help Casey create Rube Goldberg-type machines to complete simple tasks.
|I'm gonna get you, cardboard boxes!|
- Chore Pad HD: A new favorite in my house, Chore Pad has a fun interface for creating weekly chore charts, a system for parents to apply stars to each chore, cute trophies, icons, and more. My daughter insists on checking off her chores each night at bedtime.
|Hmm, looks like somebody hasn't been doing his chores...|
- Craft Finder: From Family Fun Magazine, Craft Finder has an impressive searchable library of crafts to do with kids.
|Featured summer crafts.|
- Crosswords: My favorite crossword puzzle app! Easy to use, with loads of free crosswords each day.
|A tough one.|
- Epicurious: Thousands of rated recipes in an easily searchable database. Create your own "recipe box," adjust amounts, search by ingredients, even create a shopping list.
- Grocery IQ: My favorite grocery shopping list. I sync with my iPhone to actually shop, but the iPad version has an even slicker user interface.
|Save a "Favorites" list to make future lists quick and easy.|
|Easily search for and "clip" coupons.|
- IMDB: If you like movies, IMDB (Internet Movie Database) is your perfect companion. Search for movies, view all the production details, read about actors, and read reviews, all in a handy interface.
- Insight Timer: Originally called Zen Timer, this is a nice customizable timer for meditation, yoga, or anytime that you would rather have a variety of peaceful Tibetan bells instead of typical alarms. It also includes a simple journal and a fun social networking feature.
|Settings for a 30 minute yoga session.|
- Intellicast HD: In my opinion, the best weather app for the iPad.
|Hot hot hot.|
- Zillow: If you are in the market for real estate, or just want to know the likely current value of your home, Zillow has a very useable map interface.