Saturday, February 21, 2009

Online Ukulele Lessons and Tools

As a specials/electives teacher, I hand all my evaluations and comments to classroom teachers and advisors the day before conferences start. I get to spend the two parent/teacher conference days working on all those projects that keep getting pushed to the back burner.

I've been delighted by the number of kids who have let me know that they're playing ukulele at home--whether they dusted off that old uke in the closet, or bought a new one. However, some kids and parents have also told me that they're having trouble practicing at home because they aren't quite sure what to do, and don't know how to tune the ukulele. I decided a good use for all this high tech stuff I'm always promoting would be to put some videos on my blog to help families get started with ukulele at home. So during my work days, I sat down and recorded five video tutorials, from tuning your ukulele to first songs. I hope you find them useful! Here's the first one, and the rest can be found through my channel at YouTube.


The rest of the videos will teach you a couple of songs on the open strings, the C chord and F chord, and several two-chord songs including "Hey Lolly" and "Simple Gifts."

I also found this great little interactive ukulele chord chart:



If you're really ready for a challenge, check out the huge selection of songs at Dr. Uke. Happy playing!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great work on the videos. I wish I'd had a teacher like you when I was at school.

simon george said...

I appreciate the lessons. Ive been playing guitar for a long time and im just now trying to pick up the ukulele. Im hoping the guitar dexterity will help me. Great post keep up the hard work. Check these out IStillGotMyGuitar.

simon george said...

I appreciate the lessons. Ive been playing guitar for a long time and im just now trying to pick up the ukulele. Im hoping the guitar dexterity will help me. Great post keep up the hard work. Check these out IStillGotMyGuitar.